Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce and Flax Bread Sticks

This may be my sons favorite meal. I was making the zucchini noodles for me and some gluten free packaged pasta for him. After he saw what I had, he asked for "mommy noodles" and would much prefer these over packaged pasta.

Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
Ingredients:
Pasta:
1 zucchini per person - spiraled with a vegetable spiralizer or you can use a vegetable peeler to make fettucini style noodles.

Sauce:
1/2 cup cashew chreese
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked for 1 hour (reserve soaking liquid)
1 large tomato
1 Tbls dried Italian herbs (I use a mix of basil, oregano, parsley, sweet fennel, and parsley)

Put all sauce ingredients in high powered blender and whirl until desired thickness. I prefer this to be smooth without any chunks. If it is too thick, add some sun dried tomato reserve liquid. If it is just right, then you can discard the reserve liquid.

Place zucchini noodles on a plate, top with a large spoonful of sauce. Top with parmezano if desired, and flax bread sticks. Serve right after plating otherwise the zucchini starts to release a lot of water and this will make for a soggy plate. Sauce is fine to keep as a leftover and will store for up to 3 days, but make the noodles fresh each time and right before dining.

1 comment:

Amy Mathers said...

I didn't know zucchini could be used as pasta. I like your recipes, my mom is a celiac and I am on a heart smart diet so recipes with no wheat and gluten that contain no processed foods are wonderful. Thanks for the new ideas. :)

No Mother Left Behind