I usually do not care for pecans, but if they are sweet, I love them. I completely understand pecan pie now - pecans on their own do nothing for me, but coat them in sugar and they are quite tasty. I made these for a playdate recently where the adults and the children ate them and really enjoyed them. These are sweet, spicy and salty and may make it into regular rotation for snacks in our home.
1/4 cup pitted dates plus 1/4 cup water for soaking (reserved)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp chai tea
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on your taste for heat)
2 1/2 cups of nuts (I used about 2 cups of pecans and 1/2 cup almonds)
- Soak 1/4 cup of dates in 1/4 cup of water for about 20 minutes.
- Place dates, reserved soaking liquid, salt, chai tea, and pepper in a highspeed blender and blend for 15 seconds until the mix is completely liquid and looks like a syrup.
- Place nuts in a medium mixing bowl, pour syrup over them and mix to coat each nut.
- Let sit for a few minutes and retoss - pecans seem to loose their syrup after the first mix.
- Either eat and enjoy immediately, or you dehydrate until dry and sticky - about 8 hours at 105 degrees.
- Keep dehydrated nuts for about 5 days in the refrigerator.