Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

Make Your Own Toothpaste

Most toothpastes, even the ones found in natural food stores, are filled with ingredients that really do not need to be there, including toxic chemical, parabens, and petroleum by-products. When Tom's of Maine was purchased by Colgate-Palmolive several years ago, I started making my own tooth powder. Now I add glycerin to it and it is toothpaste.

This recipe takes minutes to make and I make a little cup of it for each of us. Because there are no preservatives in it, I only make about a month's batch at a time. I use arrowroot because it is less abrasive than baking soda or salt on our gums. I also like mint in my toothpaste but any flavored extract could be used here or none at all.

Ingredients:
3 Tbls Baking Soda
1 Tbls Arrowroot
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Peppermint Oil (food grade)
3 Tbls Vegetable Glycerin (may take a little more)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until lump free. You can put the final product in a squeeze tube or a small cup. Too keep it sanitary, I typically use either one container per person in the family, or the squeeze tube.

This makes almost 1/2 cup and depending on how much and how often you use it, should last at least 1 - 3 months.

To make whitening toothpaste, add 1/2 Tbls ground sage.

6 comments:

Dawn Balusik, AP, DOM, LMT said...

very cool! I'll have to try this.

Unknown said...

Is this safe for pregnant &/or nursing moms?

Unknown said...

Crystal - I have uused it through 2 pregnancies and while nursing. All the ingredients arensafe for anyone - you may have to adjust the salt for tender gums that some women gt durin pregnancy.

Taylor said...

How fantastic! I've just found your blog based on a Google search (about what a two year old should know) and will be clicking around to discover more of your tips and recipes.

I'm going to try the toothpaste one and the blueberry cheesecake this month. I hope you're still blogging!

Thanks for sharing this info with us. ;-)

Adina Altschuler Kopinsky said...

I thought that glycerin coats your teeth and prevents them from absorbing nutrients from food -- that's part of why people don't like the regular store-brand toothpaste. Can you clarify? Thanks!

Unknown said...

I am no expert on what or how teeth absorb nutrients. I alternate between the same recipe with or without glycerin depending on whether I want paste or powder. I personally have never had any decay in my teeth so no real answer for you other than to follow your gut on this.

No Mother Left Behind