Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

Fruit Flies!

I know I need to find the source of my fruit flies - it may just be from a day of apple cores and clementine skins, but in the mean time, I have found a great natural solution to getting rid of them. I don't want to start a conversation about whether this is vegan or not because ultimately I am killing animals, but I need to get these fruit flies out of my house.

I would post a picture of the after, but it is really not pretty. If you have some fruit flies in the house and need to get rid of them - here is my easy solution:

Step 1: Take a small jar and fill it with about 1 inch of apple cider vinegar. It does not need to be raw, unpasteurized, etc but that is what I had on hand because I use Braggs ACV for recipes.
Step 2: Add a drop or 2 of glycerin. A lot of people do not keep glycerin on hand, but it is one of the things I always have around for making my own beauty products. If you do not have any, any liquid soap will work too.
Step 3: Set the jar closest to the area of most infestation overnight
Step 4: The next morning dispose of the bodies and start over. I think fruit flies life span is about 10 days, so if you get them at the start of infestation, and get them before they can lay too many eggs, then you should be rid of them within a week or so.

I should also say - the biggest pre-step here is to make sure you remove the source of the infestation - like rotten fruit.

No comments:

No Mother Left Behind