Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2009

No-Poo??

I have been researching ingredients in shampoo as it seems to be one of the last "beauty" products that we purchase.  There are so many reasons to stop using Shampoo:
  1. Shampoo is expensive
  2. Shampoo is one of those products that I have not yet figured out how to purchase without also consuming new plastic containers with each purchase.
  3. Chemicals in shampoo irritate and dry out your scalp and hair.
  4. Toxic chemicals in shampoo are absorbed through the skin - your scalp!
  5. The body produces oil to naturally condition your hair and keep it healthy.  Shampooing upsets this process and causes the scalp to produce more oil than necessary to compensate for this stripping of the natural oil.
Now that I have decided to go "No-Poo," what is the next step?  Today is day 1 of "no-poo" for me and I decided to go the baking soda (BS) and apple cider vinegar (ACV) route.  I took about a tsp of baking soda in my palm, added enough water to make a thin paste, then rubbed it in to my scalp at the crown.  There is no lather, so to distribute the paste throughout my scalp, I gave myself a scalp massage with my finger tips.  This seemed to work pretty well.  I thought it would be hard to rinse out, but it came out better than shampoo ever has.  I then took about a tablespoon of ACV in my hand and tried to just add this to the tips of my hair.  This was awkward so I will probably just dilute and rinse over my entire head next time.  Come to think of it, maybe that is how I will mix the baking soda as well.  

I am taking some pictures over time as well - I have heard that there is a scalp detox period that can be kind of yucky, but that if I tough it out, the rewards will be worth it.

Oh - and if you are wondering if I smelled like vinegar all day, I did not.  ACV does not have that typical strong smell that white vinegar has.  And if you have ever mixed baking soda and vinegar to make that wonderful foam, that did not happen on my head either - so I assume I was able to rinse all the baking soda completely.

2 comments:

Anna Kauz said...

Have you ever read the book Organic Body Care recipes? One of my friends recommended it and it gives recipes for shampoo, soap, and all kinds of stuff. I haven't read it yet, but I'm planning on picking it up at the library :)

Susan said...

I have not read that book - I might have to pick it up at the library if they have it. I make a lot of recipes from "Natural Beauty at Home" and am even having a beginners workshop at my house next week. I'll post pix and recipes from what we make. I find a lot of recipes then tweek them to what I am wanting. Most of this is not like baking so it is forgiving when you change things up a bit.

No Mother Left Behind