Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake (Gluten Free, Vegan)

I have been craving Pineapple Upside down cake for the last few days, so finally decided I needed to take a stab at it. I did got he easy way here and bought a Pamela's Vanilla Cake Mix - I just didn't have the various GF flours to make a good cake batter, so here is my alteration to make this cake mix into an awesome cake!

Ingredients:
Cake
1/4 cup coconut oil
Egg replacer for 3 eggs
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 bag Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake Mix
2/3 cup pineapple juice (reserved from pineapple rings)

Topping
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 can pineapple slices in water (10 slices)
10 cherries without stems (optional)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325°.
  2. Melt coconut oil (if solid) in a 9-inch x 13-inch pan in preheated oven.
  3. When melted, remove pan and sprinkle brown sugar over oil.
  4. Place pineapple slices side by side in top.
  5. Place cherries in the centers of the pineapple rings.
  6. Whisk egg replacer in a large bowl until frothy.
  7. Add coconut oil and whisk until incorporated.
  8. Add almond extract.
  9. Mix cake mix into the oil/egg replacer mixture.
  10. Add pineapple juice and mix until incorporated - in a mixer, turn on med for about 60 seconds.
  11. Spoon cake mix evenly over pineapple rings and cherries - do not pour or you will likely make the rings move around in the pan.
  12. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  13. Let stand for 5 minutes then invert cake onto plate.
  14. Spoon any remaining syrup from pan over cake.
Of course, after I made this, I realized as a kid, my mom used to put pecans in the topping as well because my dad loves pecans. I was going to do this too and completely forgot until I had already put the batter over the pineapple, so maybe next time there will be a few pecans in our topping.

No comments:

No Mother Left Behind