1/4 cup coconut oil
Egg replacer for 3 eggs
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 bag Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake Mix
2/3 cup pineapple juice (reserved from pineapple rings)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 can pineapple slices in water (10 slices)
10 cherries without stems (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Melt coconut oil (if solid) in a 9-inch x 13-inch pan in preheated oven.
- When melted, remove pan and sprinkle brown sugar over oil.
- Place pineapple slices side by side in top.
- Place cherries in the centers of the pineapple rings.
- Whisk egg replacer in a large bowl until frothy.
- Add coconut oil and whisk until incorporated.
- Add almond extract.
- Mix cake mix into the oil/egg replacer mixture.
- Add pineapple juice and mix until incorporated - in a mixer, turn on med for about 60 seconds.
- Spoon cake mix evenly over pineapple rings and cherries - do not pour or you will likely make the rings move around in the pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let stand for 5 minutes then invert cake onto plate.
- Spoon any remaining syrup from pan over cake.
Of course, after I made this, I realized as a kid, my mom used to put pecans in the topping as well because my dad loves pecans. I was going to do this too and completely forgot until I had already put the batter over the pineapple, so maybe next time there will be a few pecans in our topping.